MURFATLAR vineyards is about 18 Km. west of Constanta city on the sunny slopes.
The happy combination of high temperatures, intense tight and calcareous soil comparable to those of Champagne-France, has particularly favourable effects on grape vine.
The beneficial neighbourhood of the Black Sea should also mentioned ; it delays the growing period by 10-15 days, while long warm autumns allow grape overriping..
The MURFATLAR WINERY has 3000 ha. (means 6000 acres) under vine, lying between 7 and 9 miles west of the Blacksea, wich extend the growing period by ten to fifteen days.
This, along with the area”s long, warm autumns, and the possibility than noble rot may develop in favourable years, means that the area is ideally suited to the production of white and reds wine as follows:
The Murfatlar winery production wines dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet and sweet white and reds, such as:
White : Feteasca, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Muscat Ottonel and Lacrima lui Ovidiu,
Reds : Cabernet Savignon, Merlot, Pinor Noir, Feteasca Neagra and Shiraz.
Vinification for white wines
Vinification under temperature control between 10-12 degree
- Chardonnay: dry wine, yellowish color and the elegant bouquet with floral shades and well tropical fruit.
- Pinot Gris : dry wine, yellow color with fresh flavors, and aroma ofpears,
- Muscat Ottonel : sweet wine, golden, special wines with strong floral and muscat aroma.
- Lacrima lui Ovidiu : golden yellow color highlights, an unique blending of very special sweet wine, the profoundness of the color and rich aroma come from the aged wines kept in the small oak barrels.
Vinification of red wine
Classic vinification with full temperature control
- Cabernet Sauvignon : semi-dry wine with tannins, fresh herbs, black currant and bitter cherry,
- Merlot: semi-dry wine, with moderate tannins content, yet round, cherry, plum and red fruit
- Pinot Noir: semi-sweet wine, a red fine and elegant wine cherry, strawberry, coffee, spices, vanilla and oak.
- Syrah : dry red wine, dense red berry fruit with peper and spice.
Reds wine serve at room temperature with full-flavored meats, stew, beef, lamb and chesse